Orks / Tyranids

Preferred Enemy (Wallet)

Moderator: Officer

Wulfmar
Squaddie

Orks / Tyranids

Postby Wulfmar » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:25 pm

Hello chaps,

I've been mulling over the idea of collecting a small (750 - 1500 points maximum) force of either Orks or Tyranids. I can't quite decide which to go for. Those of you who have either / both armies, how do they play?

Am I right in the general impression that the Orks have a large element of randomness, tongue in cheek humor and mob tactics charging across the board? Are Tyranids the serious swarm version with less randomness and more viciousness?

Both appeal for the models and I have ideas for both, but sadly I can't afford to collect both. Ideas, opinions etc welcome!
Amoungst a hundred men, there may be none fit for the Adeptus Astartes.
Amoungst a hundred space marines, there may be one fit for Deathwatch.

Ronan

Robstrosity
El Presidente

Re: Orks / Tyranids

Postby Robstrosity » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:58 pm

Orks are great fun, especially to convert. You can get away with a lot of "bodged" conversions that actually look even more effective.

Horde style play is what most people associate with Orks, but in the current meta-game speed freeks (i.e. trukk mounted with lots of bikers too) and shooty lists are a lot more effective. I think the army is suffering at the moment as most newer codexes (especially Tau and Space Marines) have an answer to pretty much anything the Orks can throw at them, but there may be a new codex not too far away, maybe towards the end of this year?

I haven't seen the latest nid codex, but they tend to have a bit more variety these days. You can either have a huge swarm of teeth and claws, with a few short range "guns" thrown in, a Nidzilla style list packed with beasties, a shooty list, a winged fast list, or even dare I say it a balanced mix. Tom "The Overlord" Kent can help you out with them.

To save some money with GW's current prices and Wayland's delivery issues, I suggest going to Darksphere or ebay if you don't already!
40k: IG Eldar SM Orks SW
WHFB: WE HE VC
MTG
Dystopian Wars: Russians
Necromunda:The Punishers (Orlock)
Cutlass!: Dwarves
Wings of War
Dreadball: Void Vixens
Deadzone: Rebels
DUST: SSR
Star Wars Armada
Paintball: D.O.A (UK Southern Paintball League)

Return to “General”