Your Views About The Club

General chatter about the club

Moderator: Officer

Tom Kent
Overlord

Your Views About The Club

Postby Tom Kent » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:26 pm

Please use this space to give us your views about the club.

What are we doing wrong? Also what are doing right?

Is there anything you'd like the club to supply? (ie. better terrain, "tuc shop" services, beginner armies for non-GW games?)

Would you like the club run more specific events? (ie more booster drafts, M:TG leagues, more sample game evenings, board game nights)

In general, is there anything you feel the club could do to make sure you guys have a good time? We're are here for you, and run by you.

N.B.: The club does not make a lot of money, and what we do have is used to subsidise Magic: TG tournaments, weekend events (apocalypse etc.) and the like. However we do have the ability to save up cash over time to afford nice things; it's up to you the help us know which nice things will benefit the club most!
Things I Play
Bolt Action, DUST, Warhammer 40k, Warhammer Fantasy, Necromunda, Mordheim, Malifaux, Dreadball, Cutlass!, Pirates(Of The Spanish Main), Warmachine/Hordes, Dystopian Wars, Magic: TG & board games galore

BigMan
Neophyte

Re: Your Views About The Club

Postby BigMan » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:03 pm

Wenches to serve us ale and rum while we play would be a nice touch.
Dave W

Tom Kent
Overlord

Postby Tom Kent » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:12 pm

BigMan wrote:Wenches to serve us ale and rum while we play would be a nice touch.

There are companies who hire out topless waitresses for events. So I'm sure a special event with Octoberfest beer-maids would work out cheaper!
Things I Play
Bolt Action, DUST, Warhammer 40k, Warhammer Fantasy, Necromunda, Mordheim, Malifaux, Dreadball, Cutlass!, Pirates(Of The Spanish Main), Warmachine/Hordes, Dystopian Wars, Magic: TG & board games galore

the_heritor
Squaddie

Postby the_heritor » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:21 pm

BigMan wrote:Wenches to serve us ale and rum while we play would be a nice touch.

This.
Glen

Dennaska
Sergeant

Postby Dennaska » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:35 pm

To be honest, I haven't been back to the club since Xmass. Mostly because of work and playing my league games locally with the 2 Steves at home but hay who.

I will be honest I like to take my time playing 40k have a laugh have a cry etc etc and might often find that due to having to close the hall at 11pm might be cutting my games short.
Sometimes its not me sometimes it's the way the game goes (Checking rules etc) sometimes it might be the opponent.
Any way this might be addressed or do I just need to grow an extra arm to help me deploy my foot heavy IG?
-Olli-
"From Terra, for Terra, Honour, Valour, Allegiance, Excellence.
Today, tomorrow, forever.
Together we rise, together we prevail."

As well as that awesome quote, I also often ponder.....'WHY DO I ALWAYS LOOSE!!?'

irdeaded
Veteran Sergeant

Postby irdeaded » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:42 pm

in a similar way to how the magic guys pay extra money towards things like draft nights would there be a way to occasionally ( maybe 4 times a year would be max i think) do things like a club intro night to other non GW games so things like Malifaux, war machine, hordes etc where we pay towards the club having a core role book and 2 starter forces so we can intro and demo games, know i personally have been interested by many other games but its finding enough other people to start up as well and things like this may help. obviously it would need enough other people to be interested to make it viable
40k: guard/marines/chaos/tau
Deadzone: enforcers and rebs
Fantasy: skaven
Dystopian wars: antartica
Malifaux: reserectionist
Dredball: terratons
Dust: SSU

Ogre-Dan
Officer

Postby Ogre-Dan » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:54 pm

We recently ran intro games to cutlass, dystopian wars and pirates of the Spanish main to celebrate the club's birthday.
Starter sets for war machine have been discussed and some of us have starter sets for malifaux.
I like the idea of club investment for starter sets, though am not sure if everybody in the club would want to learn new games...
Brings the other point of how do we decide what starter sets to go for.
Personally I'd like to get to know warmachine.

Regardless of how we decide to do this more intro games, for the games we already own, will be run.
And if you ever wish to try dystopian wars let me know!
Dan

irdeaded
Veteran Sergeant

Postby irdeaded » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:13 pm

it was from my enjoyment of playing pirates and dystopian wars that led me to think of this main reason i said about doing it the way the magic guys do with people chipping in was to save you guys in charge monies seeing as as those 3 games were entirely played on things you and tom had bought personally, we have a forum so guessing we run polls on it, when deciding the events poll the games the most popular would be the ones we did would make most sense to me.
40k: guard/marines/chaos/tau
Deadzone: enforcers and rebs
Fantasy: skaven
Dystopian wars: antartica
Malifaux: reserectionist
Dredball: terratons
Dust: SSU

chocmushroom
Sergeant

Postby chocmushroom » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:45 am

Good stuff
40k:
The scenery is growing all the time.
There is now a league.
Appocolyse game every year.

Magic:
Draft When new block comes out.
Cube draft (Thanks Jason)
Occasional other magic stuff.

Could do better:
40k: How about a knockout comp (weekend event)

Magic:
How about a knockout event, or a different type of comp like a 2headed giant night.

Fantasy:
We could start a league. (I will be thinking about running this as we have a mini one going right now)
We can have a knockout comp (weekend event)

Other:
It's true that one of the main handicaps is the stuff to play with, not sure how to deal with this.

Big Problem:
Closing at 11pm, can we try to get an extension till 11:30?
Fantasy: Daemons of Chaos, Tomb-Kings, Orc & Goblins, Skaven, Warriors of Chaos.
40k: Daemons of Chaos, Orks, Chaos Marine (very small)
Magic: Over 60 Decks, mostly fun

Robstrosity
El Presidente

Postby Robstrosity » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:34 pm

Thanks for the feedback!

It has been suggested that we hire the hall for a day for the league, with MTG alongside - maybe a double headed tournament as suggested by Mike to make it an interesting option.

The problem with running a knockout tournament for a day would be that people who lose the first round go home. A league format (or continuing The One List) would probably work better.

For the 11pm finish - I will ask about extending the hours, but would need to think about how to approach it (delicately?). In the meantime, all I can suggest is that you try to get here at 7 if possible (and I know in a lot of cases it isn't), or to dive straight into a game when you arrive - often games aren't started before 8:30/9ish, but of course it is fun chatting to everyone!
40k: IG Eldar SM Orks SW
WHFB: WE HE VC
MTG
Dystopian Wars: Russians
Necromunda:The Punishers (Orlock)
Cutlass!: Dwarves
Wings of War
Dreadball: Void Vixens
Deadzone: Rebels
DUST: SSR
Star Wars Armada
Paintball: D.O.A (UK Southern Paintball League)

Return to “General”