Your Views About The Club

General chatter about the club

Moderator: Officer

Sog Yogurt
Veteran Sergeant

Re: Your Views About The Club

Postby Sog Yogurt » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:27 am

Wow, navel gazing and blatant sexism! Personally I think you have got a very good mix going. Shame about the 11pm cut off. Could we have a word with the trustees? Maybe agree to guillotine games at 11pm and have a clearing up time?

Ogre-Dan
Officer

Postby Ogre-Dan » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:48 am

It's not sexist. if lots of girls joined the club they could naked men walking around serving drinks....

Robstrosity
El Presidente

Postby Robstrosity » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:56 am

I'm not sure they'd want to see Adam naked though - they might not come back!
40k: IG Eldar SM Orks SW
WHFB: WE HE VC
MTG
Dystopian Wars: Russians
Necromunda:The Punishers (Orlock)
Cutlass!: Dwarves
Wings of War
Dreadball: Void Vixens
Deadzone: Rebels
DUST: SSR
Star Wars Armada
Paintball: D.O.A (UK Southern Paintball League)

Enter The Infinite
Initiate

Postby Enter The Infinite » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:34 am

How about having sanctioned sealed/draft MTG events? Also, running occasional extra draft and sealed events outside of the one event for each set release would be cool, and would give more people an opportunity to play and get hold of more standard cards.

JamSpot
Neophyte

Postby JamSpot » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:17 pm

Hi,

I don't attend the club very often. There are a number of reasons for this which I will touch on below.

I'm not a wargamer, my gaming needs are satisfied with board games (always happy to try a new board game), CCGs such as MTG, Middle-Earth and Vampire: The Eternal Struggle. I would like to get back into some RPG games as well.

I used to be a competative Legacy and Vintage MTG player. I am no longer competative as I can't afford to extensively test decks and I'm no longer in a position to travel to big events.

My MTG is now purely casual and my prefered method of playing casual MTG is with my Powered Cube.

I would attend the Club more if I could be be sure that if I brought a board game down, I could actually find a few people to play, the same goes for my Cube.

One quick question - do the club management want to extend/promote this club outside of wargaming alone? I understand that as the name of the club is "Bexley Reapers Wargaming Club" which kind of points at your priority being wargaming and the other game formats are not a priority but if you want to grow the club and grow it by encouraging other game formats, I dare to say it but you would probably need a name change (I'm aware the name is new as is the artwork). Perhaps your wargaming side of things could still be represented at wargaming events at Bexley Reapers or whatever but if someone new to the area who was into board games or card games etc went looking for a club to attend, I doubt they would give the club a second thought due to the heavy wargaming theme. If on the other hand you guys have no interest in expanding the club past wargaming, then what I have just typed can be ignored. :lol:

On the sanctioned MTG event side, I have no real interest in playing sanctioned events but would probably play them if they were there. I'm not a Standard player so would only play in drafts and the like. Friendly casual drafts are fine with me.

chocmushroom wrote:Magic:
Cube draft (Thanks Jason)

My pleasure amigo! I had a great time at the last Cube and would like to play more often...maybe making it a monthly event. 8-)
Jason
Powered MTG Cube owner and Board Game Geek
Run UK Eternal MTG over at www.magicplayers.co.uk

Tom Kent
Overlord

Postby Tom Kent » Tue May 21, 2013 10:38 am

Hi guys, thanks for the feedback you've given us on the club, please keep it coming!

Hopefully we've been addressing a few of your suggestions in the last couple of months.

For your update: we are currently talking to the trustees of the hall about extending the club opening time, if only just a little.

If you guys have any more suggestions/requests/feedbacks then please, please, please keep posting them here.

Cheers all.
Things I Play
Bolt Action, DUST, Warhammer 40k, Warhammer Fantasy, Necromunda, Mordheim, Malifaux, Dreadball, Cutlass!, Pirates(Of The Spanish Main), Warmachine/Hordes, Dystopian Wars, Magic: TG & board games galore

Chris_Keys
Squaddie

Postby Chris_Keys » Tue May 21, 2013 11:42 am

Speaking from my own personal perspective: I generally would rather play multi-player games ie more than 2 players. I'm not really a 1v1 competitive type of person and while the games I've had so far have been very casual and non-competitive I still prefer the atmosphere of a multi-player game. This is not to say I don't want to continue playing 2 player games at the club, only that if possible I would like to explore games or formats for more players.

I know Gavin talked about a US civil war game next week which I am interested in.

Some people also mentioned munchkin and settlers of catan which I wouldn't mind trying. I also have a board game called Super Dungeon Explore which has gone down well when I have played it elsewhere so I will be looking at suggesting a game of this in the future at some point.

Another suggestion would be multi-player games of popular formats such as a kill-team game of 40k. Or developing our own mini games, so for example using dystopian wars and experimenting with a 4 player scenario with smaller fleets and objectives.

Sog Yogurt
Veteran Sergeant

Postby Sog Yogurt » Sat May 25, 2013 11:30 am

The ACW game will happen on the 27th. It would accommodate up to six players.

Sog Yogurt
Veteran Sergeant

Postby Sog Yogurt » Sat May 25, 2013 5:19 pm

Personally Chris, it's a style I like too (the Thursday club I go to in central does 1 multiplayer game per week) however what the Reapers do we do well ;) . I don't think there has really been a problem with people not getting a game at Reapers though. If the ACW one goes down well, there are other Multiplayer games I could lay on.

Return to “General”